|Pix Credit HERE|
For the Americans, this quite belated recognition (one perhaps resulting from a bizarre wishful thinking away of the CPC by generations of the American intelligentsia and their allies within the American state apparatus who refused to take the CPC at face value) this insight produces fear; it is a threat. For the Chinese, it is meant to confirm a reality that had been diluted in its efforts at conformity for its own international and national purposes before the leadership of Xi Jinping. This insight is also meant to drive home a reality that China's own intellectuals have sought to take in perhaps distinct directions over the course of the last generation (See, e.g., here). It is in this sense, part of a theoretical rectification given an official imprimatur from the "core" of the core political leadership.
2. But semiotics remains us that even though two people may "see" exactly the same thing, the way in which they vest it with meaning (the way the object "seen" is signified), and the way in which they are able to derive judgment from that meaning (good, bad, friend, enemy, threat, etc.), that is the way in which the signified object is embedded within systems of values, will depend on the way in which of the people have been taught to "see" the world. Mr. O'Brien, committed (as he should be) to liberal democratic, markets driven, individual rights based systems of exogenous democratic operation, sees in the preeminence of a well operating Leninist system a threat to all of the values around which his own political-economic model (and its values) are built and operate. Mr. Xi, on the other hand, sees in the drive toward a well operated (and theorized) Leninist Party, a further step towrd the perfection of a political-economic model that is constructed around a well operated Leninist vanguard in which political authority is vested, and through which it must flow.
3. Both Mr. Xi and Mr. O'Brien see in the other the incarnation of threat in the form of what the Chinese call the "black hand" of foreign interference. And both would be right. New Era Chinese Communist internationalism is grounded on the need to expand the space within which its own way of seeing the world and operating within it may be used to develop collective activity (and to protect the integrity of that activity from others). The Belt and Road Initiative cannot help but serve these ends (in part) if it is to remain true to the essence of Leninism. But the same is true of literal democratic internationalism, the power of which, of course, produced both the victory of the allies in 1945, ad the reconstruction of the world and its orders thereafter. Robust mechanisms for leading by example, for controlling narrative, and for insisting that friends, allies, and business relations adhere to the core premises of either system would be then viewed by the other as aggressive acts--as the projection of power over the very fabric of "reality" at the expense of the other. In that context, both Mr. Xi and Mr. O'Brien are honest enough to come as close as possible to admitting that convergence is not possible, and indeed, that the more vigorous expression of each requires bothe de-coupling, and an aggressive effort to extend the "jurisdiction" of narrative.
4. There is a bit of irony and strong continuity in Mr. Xi's collective essay (the aggregation of related snippets of writings produced for delivery elsewhere from the start of Mr. Xi's leadership term. The irony and continuity relates to a phrase used over and over (Sections 7, 13, 14, 16, 17, and 18): 党政军民学，东西南北中，党是领导一切的，是最高的政治领导力量 [Party, government, military, civil, and academic; the east, west, south, north, and middle; the party is leading everything and is the highest form of political leadership]. But Mr. Xi did not create that discursive trope--Mao Zedong did. And Mao did it in a well known and often repeated story of the return of Deng Xiaoping (and the start of modern Communist China) in 1973 as the Cultural Revolution was sputtering itself and an exhausted end (see, e.g., here): 政治局是管全部的，党政军民学，东西南北中 [The Politburo is in charge of everything, party, government, military, civil and academics; east, west, south, north, and middle]. It is that effort to re-mix Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping that truly marks the core transformation of Chinese Marxist-Leninist Theory--an effort that has proven complicated for Chinese intellectuals, and incomprehensible for virtually everyone in the West. The ability to appreciate that project--by no means complete--that serves as the key to understanding the way that Mr. Xi (the the core of the leadership core of the CPC) is reshaping the way that the world is "seen." Mr. O'Brien sees this as well, but with horror--especially in the face of the vacuousness of the American response (much less its inability to appreciate this effort). Mr. Xi, on the other hand sees this as a necessary resolution of the contradiction inherent in the great gulf that separated the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (a moral, values project gone wrong) from Reform and Opening Up (an economic project increasing drifting away from its moral values moorings). My thanks to Keren Wang (Penn State) for pointing out this connection between Xi and Mao.
Remarks delivered by National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien on June 24, 2020, in Phoenix, Arizona.
Well, thank you Governor. That was an extraordinarily kind introduction and for thinking of Kayla and her parents. We had them at the State of the Union. That was a very special occasion for the President and for all of us as Americans. What happened to Kayla should never happen to anyone, especially Americans. Thank you for remembering her today and for the support you have given her family. It is great to be here in Phoenix. Congratulations on the TSMC factory that is coming to Arizona. I can tell you there are 49 other governors that are a little jealous of Governor Ducey at this point. What a tremendous accomplishment for your administration and it’s great for our national security to bring our supply chain home, especially when we are dealing with critical technology, computer chips, dual-use chips, that are not only important to our civilian world—the phones we use, the computers we use, the dishwashers, the refrigerators we use—but also to our military. You have some great aerospace companies who are doing work in Arizona that are going to benefit from having their suppliers closer to home. Congratulations to the people of Arizona.
It is wonderful to be here at the Arizona Commerce Authority. Congratulations to you as well for the excellent support you gave the governor and his administration in not only bringing the Taiwanese here but also many other manufacturing companies returning to America are coming to Arizona—great weather, sunshine. It is wonderful again to be back here on the west coast. Other folks around the world are coming to Arizona and the American West to see there is a whole other part to this country outside of Washington, D.C. and New York. As manufacturing returns to this country, Arizona will be at the top of their list. So congratulations, Governor.
I bring you greetings from the 45th President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. I know he was here yesterday. It is privilege to follow in his wake. I think there is some other good news; you will be having the Vice President of the United States Mike Pence, my close friend, whose office is down the hall, will be here next week.
I appreciate the kind invitation to come discuss an issue of great importance to American national security with you, Governor and your colleagues here in Arizona:—the challenge the Chinese Communist Party poses to the United States and our allies is of critical importance to us right now. My remarks are the first of several speeches senior Administration officials will give on this matter over the next few weeks. You will soon hear from Secretary of State Pompeo, Attorney General Barr, and FBI Director Chris Wray on the subject.
America, under President Trump’s leadership, has finally awoken to the threat the Chinese Communist Party’s actions and the threat they pose to our very way of life. For decades, conventional wisdom in both U.S. political parties, the business community, academia, and media, has held that it was only a matter of time before China would become more liberal, first economically and, then, politically. The more we opened our markets to China, the thinking went, the more we invested capital in China, the more we trained PRC bureaucrats, scientists, engineers, and even military officers, the more China would become like us.
It was under this premise that we welcomed China into the World Trade Organization in 2001 with vast concessions and trade privileges. We downplayed China’s gross human rights abuses, including Tiananmen Square. We turned a blind eye to China’s widespread technology theft that eviscerated entire sectors of the American economy.
As China grew richer and stronger, we believed, the Chinese Communist Party would liberalize to meet the rising democratic aspirations of its people. This was a bold, quintessentially American idea, born of our innate optimism and by the experience of our triumph over Soviet Communism. Unfortunately, it turned out to be very naïve.
We could not have been more wrong—and this miscalculation is the greatest failure of American foreign policy since the 1930s. How did we make such a mistake? How did we fail to understand the nature of the Chinese Communist Party?
The answer is simple: because we did not pay heed to the CCP’s ideology. Instead of listening to what CCP leaders were saying and reading what they wrote in their key documents, we closed our ears and our eyes. We believed what we wanted to believe—that the Party members were communist in name only.
Let us be clear, the Chinese Communist Party is a Marxist-Leninist organization. The Party General Secretary Xi Jinping sees himself as Josef Stalin’s successor. In fact, as the journalist and former Australian government official John Garnaut has noted, the Chinese Communist Party is the last “ruling communist party that never split with Stalin, with the partial exception of North Korea.”  Yes, Stalin – the man whose brutal dictatorship and disastrous policies killed roughly 20 million Russians and others through famine, forced collectivization, executions, and labor camps. As interpreted and practiced by Lenin, Stalin, and Mao, communism is a totalitarian ideology.
Under communism, individuals are merely a means to be used toward the achievement of the ends of the collective nation state. Thus, individuals can be easily sacrificed for the nation state’s goals. Individuals do not have inherent value under Marxism-Leninism. They exist to serve the state; the state does not exist to serve them.
These ideas sound remote and outdated to us. They are, after all, old ideas—they were born a century and a half ago in Europe. They were implemented a century ago by Russia, and then discarded 30 years ago as the most costly failed political experiment in history. But in China, these ideas remain as fundamental to the Chinese Communist Party as the Constitution and the Bill of Rights do to us as Americans.
The Chinese Communist Party seeks total control over the people’s lives. This means economic control, it means political control, it means physical control, and, perhaps most importantly, it means thought control.
“In Classical Chinese statecraft,” Garnaut has noted, “there are two tools for gaining and maintaining control over ‘the mountains and the rivers’: the first is wu (武), weapons and violence, and the second is wen (文), language and culture. Chinese leaders have always believed that power derives from controlling both the physical battlefield and the cultural domain.”  “For Lenin, Stalin, Mao and Xi,” Garnaut writes, “words are not vehicles of reason and persuasion. They are bullets. Words are for defining, isolating, and destroying opponents.” 
Propaganda plays a central political role for the CCP. Beijing’s efforts to dominate political thought are stated openly and pursued aggressively. In 1989, the party began organizing itself around ‘ideological security,’ a term repeated frequently since then by CCP leaders. More recently, in April 2013, the Party issued a policy on what they call the “current state of ideology.”  It held that there should be, “absolutely no opportunity or outlets for incorrect thinking or viewpoints to spread.” 
So within China, this approach means mandatory study sessions on Communist ideology and the required download and use of smartphone apps that teach so-called “Xi Jinping Thought.” It means complete control of all state media. Outside sources of information are banned—from foreign newspapers to Twitter, Facebook, and WhatsApp. All content generated within China is censored. It means jailing everyone from citizen bloggers, reporters, and lawyers to activists and religious believers for expressing any views contrary to the Party line.
And indeed, just recently, between January 1 and April 4 of this year, nearly 500 individuals were charged with crimes just for speaking out about the Wuhan coronavirus, its effects upon the Party, and the Party’s cover-up of the disease. 
The Chinese Communist Party reinterprets religious texts, including the Bible, to support communist party ideology. It locks up millions of Muslim Uyghurs and other minorities in reeducation camps where they are subjected to political indoctrination and forced labor, while their children are raised in Party-run orphanages. This process annihilates family, religion, culture, language, and heritage of the people who are caught up in these camps. Under the Chinese Communist Party, information is tightly controlled and expression is constantly surveilled, so that it can be quashed or shaped by the state.
Americans should be concerned. We should not be concerned only for the Chinese people but for ourselves. Xi Jinping’s ambitions for ideological control are not limited to his own people. The CCP’s stated goal is to create a “Community of Common Destiny for Mankind,” and to remake the world according to the CCP. The effort to control thought beyond the borders of China is well under way.
Over the past decade, the Party has invested billions of dollars into overseas propaganda operations to great effect. The CCP has moved to eliminate ‘unfriendly’ Chinese language media outlets worldwide, and is close to succeeding. Nearly every Chinese language news outlet in the U.S. is either owned by, or works closely with the Party—and it is making inroads into English language media as well. There are more than a dozen radio stations in cities across the country where Americans hear subtle pro-Beijing propaganda on their FM radio.
Recently, Chinese propaganda persuaded so many Americans that a U.S. solider had brought the coronavirus to Wuhan—as opposed to Wuhan sending the virus to the rest of the world (a complete fabrication by the CCP) that this soldier and her family needed a personal security detail to protect them from death threats. This situation occurred in Maryland.
On TikTok, a Chinese-owned social media platform with over 40 million American users—probably a lot of your kids and younger colleagues– accounts criticizing CCP policies are routinely removed or deleted.
Last week, Twitter announced the suspension of more than 23,000 CCP linked accounts for spreading propaganda on Hong Kong and COVID-19. This latest suspension was in addition to last August’s removal of more than 150,000 CCP linked accounts that were used to spread anti-American disinformation and generate the illusion of popular support for Beijing’s policies in the United States. These are just the accounts Twitter caught. How many are still out there undetected?
In March, the CCP expelled American journalists working for the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post, almost fully eliminating independent reporting from within China on the Wuhan virus.
In addition to influencing what information American citizens receive regarding China, the CCP is increasingly using its leverage to police American speech. When the University of California at San Diego hosted the Dalai Lama as a commencement speaker in 2017, Beijing banned Chinese students from visiting UCSD on government funds.
When the general manager of the Houston Rockets tweeted his support for the peaceful Hong Kong protesters, the CCP announced its team’s games would not be shown on Chinese TV and used its economic power to pressure others in basketball, including star players, to criticize the tweet on behalf of Beijing.
Under pressure from the CCP, Marriott, and American, Delta, and United Airlines all removed references to Taiwan from their corporate websites. Mercedes Benz even apologized for posting an inspirational quote from the Dalai Lama on social media.
Beijing has used its financial might and market access to pressure Hollywood into self-censorship, incentivizing directors and producers to avoid topics that might not make it past the country’s censors in China. For example, the Japanese and Taiwanese flags were dropped from Tom Cruise’s flight jacket in the upcoming Top Gun sequel “Maverick.” MGM digitally changed the identities, post-production, of the invading military from China to North Korea in the “Red Dawn” remake.
The CCP is seeking leverage over individual Americans as well. The Party is collecting your most intimate data—your words, your actions, your purchases, your whereabouts, your health records, your social media posts, your texts, and mapping your network of friends, family, and acquaintances.
The CCP accomplishes this goal, in part, by subsidizing hardware, software, telecommunications, and even genetics companies. As a result, corporations such as Huawei and ZTE undercut competitors on price and install their equipment around the globe at a loss. This has the side effect of putting out of business American manufacturers of telecom hardware and has made it very difficult for Nokia and Ericsson. Why do they do it? Because it is not telecom hardware or software profits the CCP are after, it is your data. They use “backdoors” built into the products to obtain that data.
When the Chinese Communist Party cannot buy your data, it steals it. In 2014, the CCP hacked Anthem insurance, collecting sensitive information on 80 million Americans. In 2015, the CCP hacked the Office of Personnel Management, which holds security clearance information, acquiring sensitive data on 20 million Americans who work for the federal government. In 2017, it hacked Equifax, obtaining the names, birthdates, social security numbers, and credit scores of 145 million Americans.
In 2019, the CCP hacked Marriot, gathering information on 383 million guests, including their passport numbers. And, in 2016, a Chinese company even bought the dating app Grindr to harvest its data, including the HIV status of users, before the U.S. government forced a divestiture on national security grounds. These are just a few of the instances we know about.
How will the Chinese Communist Party use this data? In the same way it uses data within China’s borders: to target, to flatter, to cajole, to influence, to coerce, and to even blackmail individuals to say and do things that serve the Party’s interests. This is ‘micro targeting’ beyond an advertiser’s wildest dreams. China, unlike advertisers, will not be stopped by government regulations. The Chinese Communist Party simply wants to know everything about you—just as it likes to know almost everything about every individual living in China.
In addition to propaganda and influence operations, the Chinese Communist Party uses trade to coerce compliance with its dictates. When Australia called for an independent investigation of the coronavirus’ origins and spread, the Chinese Communist Party threatened to stop buying Australian agricultural products and to prevent Chinese students and tourists from traveling to Australia. When Australia refused to relent, Beijing put these threats into force, imposing an 80% tariff on Australian barley exports.
International organizations are also part of China’s plan. China has sought leadership positions within many global bodies. China now heads four out of fifteen UN specialized agencies, more than the U.S., UK, France, and Russia, the other members of the permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, combined. The PRC uses these leaders to force the international bodies to parrot Beijing’s talking points and to install Chinese telecommunications equipment in their facilities.
For example, since Zhao Houlin of the International Telecommunications Union took his post he began to aggressively promote Huawei sales. Secretary-General Fang Liu of the International Civil Aviation Organization has blocked Taiwan’s participation in General Assembly meetings and covered up a Chinese hack of the organization. The Party has used China’s membership on the UN Human Rights Council to prevent criticism of its abuses in Xinjiang and Hong Kong.
The CCP’s reach extends to heads of international organizations who are not themselves Chinese officials. Under Beijing’s thumb, and at an unacceptable cost to human life, Director-General Tedros of the World Health Organization dutifully used Chinese talking points on the Wuhan virus. As late as mid-January, he claimed there was no human-to-human transmission of the disease. He opposed international travel restrictions. At the same time, Tedros praised China’s own domestic travel restrictions on Wuhan residents. In other words, they could travel overseas, but they could not travel and potentially take the virus to Beijing or Shanghai. These CCP tactics in international organizations, as we have seen with the coronavirus, are a major cause of concern not just for the United States, but to the world.
The good news is that under President Trump’s leadership, we know what the CCP is doing, we are calling it out, and we are taking decisive action to counter it across the board. 
First, President Trump prevented certain companies that answer to the CCP’s intelligence and security apparatus—such as Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei—from accessing our personal and private data.  The Administration also imposed restrictions on U.S. semiconductor technology from going to Huawei.
Second, the State Department designated the U.S. operations of 9 Chinese state-controlled propaganda outlets as foreign missions. These organizations are the mouthpieces of the Chinese Communist Party. This designation places reporting requirements and visa restrictions on these so-called media outlets.
Third, President Trump imposed export restrictions on 21 Chinese government entities and 16 Chinese companies complicit in China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, forced labor and high-technology surveillance against Uyghurs and other minorities, and we have blocked officials complicit in these abuses from travelling to the United States.  The Administration has also stopped the illegal import of goods produced by Chinese companies known to use Uyghur forced labor.
Fourth, President Trump left the United Nations Human Rights Council to protest its cooptation by China. He has terminated the U.S. relationship with the World Health Organization, because its response to the pandemic showed that it is beholden to China. Instead of funding the corrupt WHO in Geneva with over $400 million per year, the United States and its generous taxpayers will send that money directly to where it is needed most—frontline healthcare workers serving in developing countries around the world.
Fifth, President Trump limited the People’s Liberation Army’s ability to use student visa programs to place its officers and employees in our colleges and universities to steal U.S. technology, intellectual property, and information.
Sixth, the President moved to halt the investment of U.S. federal employee retirement funds into PRC companies, including Chinese military contractors and manufacturers of surveillance equipment used to oppress religious minorities.  He is examining the opaque accounting practices of Chinese companies listed on U.S. stock exchanges. 
This week, the Defense Department is submitting to Congress a list of People’s Liberation Army-linked companies with operations in the United States so that the American people are fully informed about exactly with whom they are doing business.
Now, these steps are just the start as America corrects 40 years of a one-sided, unfair relationship with China that has severely affected our nation’s economic and, recently, political well-being. Just like the tariffs that were imposed by the President on unfair trade practices early in his Administration, there is more to come.
President Trump understands that lasting peace comes through strength. We are the strongest nation on earth, and we will not bend to the CCP. As the foregoing actions demonstrate, the Trump Administration is countering CCP malign activity. The Trump Administration will speak out and reveal what the Chinese Communist Party believes, and what it is planning—not just for China and Hong Kong and Taiwan, but for the world.
Together with our allies and partners, we will resist the Chinese Communist Party’s efforts to manipulate our people and our governments, damage our economies, and undermine our sovereignty. The days of American passivity and naivety regarding the People’s Republic of China are over.
We will stay true to our principles—especially freedom of speech—which stand in stark contrast to the Marxist-Leninist ideology embraced by the CCP. Under President Trump’s leadership, we will encourage diversity of thought, resist efforts to police speech or encourage self-censorship, protect Americans’ personal data, and above all, continue to proclaim that all women and men are entitled by right of God to liberty, life, and the pursuit of happiness.
As I close, let me be clear – we have deep respect and admiration for the Chinese people. The United States has a long history of friendship with the Chinese nation. But the Chinese Communist Party does not equal China or her people.
To the Chinese Communist Party, I say, as the recent Phase One trade deal has shown, it is possible for our governments to have a productive relationship. We want good relationships with China, but we do not want relations on the terms currently on offer from Beijing.
As Americans, I am certain that we will rise to successfully meet the challenge presented by the Chinese Communist Party, just as we have responded to all the great crises over our history. President Trump is leading the way. And like President Trump, I firmly believe that our best days as a country remain ahead of us.
Again, thank you for joining me here today. It is a privilege to be here in Phoenix, Arizona. May God bless you and may God bless the United States of America.
 John Garnaut, “Engineers of the Soul: Ideology in Xi Jinping’s China,” January 16, 2019, https://sinocism.com/p/engineers-of-the-soul-ideology-in.
 John Garnaut, “Engineers of the Soul: Ideology in Xi Jinping’s China,” January 16, 2019, https://sinocism.com/p/engineers-of-the-soul-ideology-in.
 John Garnaut, “Engineers of the Soul: Ideology in Xi Jinping’s China,” January 16, 2019, https://sinocism.com/p/engineers-of-the-soul-ideology-in.
 “Document 9: A ChinaFile Translation,” November 8, 2013, https://www.chinafile.com/document-9-chinafile-translation.
 “Document 9: A ChinaFile Translation,” November 8, 2013, https://www.chinafile.com/document-9-chinafile-translation
 Bradford Betz, “China has arrested hundreds for speaking out about coronavirus, reports show,” May 13, 2020, https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-arrested-hundreds-speaking-out-coronavirus/
 Hoover Institution, 2018, “Chinese Influence & American Interests: Promoting Constructive Vigilance,” https://www.hoover.org/sites/default/files/research/docs/chineseinfluence_americaninterests_fullreport_web.pdf.
 White House, “United States Strategic Approach to the People’s Republic of China,” May 20, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/U.S.-Strategic-Approach-to-The-Peoples-Republic-of-China-Report-5.20.20.pdf
 White House, “Executive Order on Securing the Information and Communications Technology and Services Supply Chain,” May 15, 2019, https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-securing-information-communications-technology-services-supply-chain/ and White House, “Executive Order on Establishing the Committee for the Assessment of Foreign Participation in the United States Telecommunications Services Sector,” April 4, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-establishing-committee-assessment-foreign-participation-united-states-telecommunications-services-sector/
 Department of Commerce, “Commerce Addresses Huawei’s Efforts to Undermine Entity List, Restricts Products Designed and Produced with U.S. Technologies,” May 15, 2020, https://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2020/05/commerce-addresses-huaweis-efforts-undermine-entity-list-restricts.
 Department of State, “Designation of Additional Chinese Media Entities as Foreign Missions,” June 22, 2020, https://www.state.gov/designation-of-additional-chinese-media-entities-as-foreign-missions.
 White House, “United States Strategic Approach to the People’s Republic of China,” May 20, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/U.S.-Strategic-Approach-to-The-Peoples-Republic-of-China-Report-5.20.20.pdf; also see Department of Commerce, “Commerce Department to Add Nine Chinese Entities Related to Human Rights Abuses in the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region to the Entity List,” May 22, 2020, https://www.commerce.gov/news/press-releases/2020/05/commerce-department-add-nie-chinese-entities-related-human-rights.
 U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, “CBP Issues Detention Order on Hair Products Manufactured with Force Labor in China,” May 1, 2020, https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-issues-detention-order-hair-products-manufactured-forced-labor; also see June 17, 2020, https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-issues-detention-order-hair-products-manufactured-forced-labor-0 and October 1, 2019,
 White House, “President Donald J. Trump is Standing Up for Human Rights at the U.N.,” June 21, 2018, https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-standing-human-rights-u-n/
 White House, “Remarks by President Trump on Actions Against China,” May 30, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-actions-china/ White House, “Proclamation on the Suspension of Entry as Nonimmigrants of Certain Students and Researchers from the People’s Republic of China,” May 29, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-nonimmigrants-certain-students-researchers-peoples-republic-china/
 Blake Burman, “Trump orders federal retirement money invested in Chinese equities to be pulled,” May 11, 2020, https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/trump-orders-federal-retirement-money-invested-in-chinese-equities-to-be-pulled<
 White House, “Remarks by President Trump on Actions Against China,” May 30, 2020, https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-actions-china/
来源：《求是》2020/14 作者：习近平 2020-07-15 15:05:53
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential characteristic of socialism with Chinese characteristics
Source: "Seeking Truth" 2020/14 Author: Xi Jinping 2020-07-15 15:05:53
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics
Socialism with Chinese characteristics has many characteristics and features, but the most essential characteristic is to adhere to the leadership of the Communist Party of China. Strengthening the party's leadership in economic work and comprehensively raising the level of the party's leadership in economic work is an inevitable requirement for upholding democratic centralism and an advantage of our political system. The party takes the overall picture and coordinates all parties. Economic work is the central task. Of course, the party’s leadership must be fully reflected in the central work. If the central work is grasped, other tasks can be better carried out.
(Speech at the Central Economic Work Conference on December 10, 2013)
The party is the core of leadership in our various undertakings. The ancients said that "six contract styles, Kyushu is coherent". In contemporary China, this cannot be done without the leadership of the party. The Central Committee, the Politburo, and the Politburo Standing Committee are the core of the party's leadership decision-making. The decisions and arrangements made by the Party Central Committee must be implemented by the party’s organization, propaganda, united front, political and legal departments, the party organizations of the National People’s Congress, the government, the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference, the courts, and the procuratorate. Implementation, the party organization should play a role. Party organizations in all aspects should be responsible to the party committee and report to the party committee. Some comrades are accustomed to taking charge of work as their own ban. They feel that since charge of work is not necessary, they do not want other people to ask questions. Some even do not want the party committee to ask questions, otherwise party and government will be inseparable. This idea is incorrect. The party committee plays a central role in leadership, and all parties should consciously report to the party committee major work and major situations, and do their best within the scope of their responsibilities under the unified leadership of the party committee. It's good to report it, brainstorming, brainstorming, and things can be better. It is also a rule for party committees (party groups) in various regions and departments to strengthen reporting to the Party Central Committee.
(Speech at the Third Plenary Session of the Eighteenth Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Communist Party of China on January 14, 2014)
2017年10月18日，习近平在中国共产党第十九次全国代表大会上作报告。 新华社记者 鞠鹏/摄 [On October 18, 2017, Xi Jinping gave a report at the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China. Xinhua News Agency reporter Ju Peng/photo]
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics. The 15th National Congress of the Communist Party of China has long made it clear that governing the country according to law means that under the leadership of the Party, the broad masses of the people manage state affairs, economic and cultural undertakings, and social affairs in various ways and in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution and laws. To ensure that all national work is carried out in accordance with the law, and to gradually realize the institutionalization and legalization of socialist democracy, so that such systems and laws will not be changed by changes in leaders, or by changes in leaders’ views and attention. We speak of governing the country and governing in accordance with the Constitution, not to deny and abandon the leadership of the party, but to emphasize that the party leads the people to formulate the constitution and laws, the party leads the people to implement the constitution and laws, and the party itself must act within the scope of the constitution and laws. Our Constitution reflects the achievements of the party in leading the people in revolution, construction, and reform in the form of fundamental laws, and reflects the party's leading position formed in history and people's choice.
(Speech on the seminar of comprehensive deepening of reform in the study and implementation of the spirit of the Third Plenary Session of the Eighteenth Central Committee of the Party at the provincial and ministerial leading cadres on February 17, 2014)
must clearly understand that the greatest national condition of China is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. What are Chinese characteristics? This is Chinese characteristics. The system led by the Communist Party of China is our own, not from where it was cloned, nor did it follow suit. No matter what useful things we absorb, we must eventually localize. The winds of the October Revolution came in, but our party eventually did not become a Soviet-style party. After the end of the Cold War, the collapse of the Soviet Union and the drastic changes in Eastern Europe, we still go our own way, so we only have today. Practice is the sole criterion for testing truth. China has followed this path for more than 90 years since the founding of the Party, more than 60 years since the founding of New China, and more than 30 years of reform and opening up. From one victory to another victory, from one success to another success, what else can shake our beliefs?
(Speech at the special democratic life meeting of the Standing Committee of the Lankao County Committee of Henan Province on May 9, 2014)
The most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics is to uphold the leadership of the Communist Party of China. To realize the goal of "two hundred years", we do not know how many slopes to climb, how many ridges to pass, how many winds and rains we have experienced, and how many difficulties and obstacles to overcome. I once quoted a poem by Yang Wanli: "Mo Yan Xialing will be easy, earning pedestrians like it wrongly. While entering the circle of Wanshan, one mountain releases one mountain block." To deal with and overcome various risks and obstacles along the way The key to the challenge lies in the party. We must concentrate our efforts on party building so that our party will become more mature, stronger, and more effective. This is the political responsibility of the whole party, and above all the political responsibility of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee.
(Speech at the 16th collective study of the 18th Central Political Bureau on June 30, 2014)
2019年1月16日至18日，中共中央总书记、国家主席、中央军委主席习近平在京津冀考察，主持召开京津冀协同发展座谈会并发表重要讲话。这是1月16日上午，习近平在河北雄安新区规划展示中心，仔细听取新区总体规划、政策体系及建设情况介绍。 新华社记者 鞠鹏/摄 [From January 16 to 18, 2019, Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the CPC Central Committee, State President, and Chairman of the Central Military Commission inspected Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei, presided over the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Collaborative Development Symposium and delivered an important speech. This is the morning of January 16, Xi Jinping at the Planning and Exhibition Center of Xiong'an New District, Hebei Province, carefully listening to the general planning, policy system and construction of the new district. Xinhua News Agency reporter Ju Peng/photo]
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the common choice of all Chinese people, including democratic parties, organizations, nationalities, strata, and people from all walks of life. It is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics and the fundamental guarantee for the development and progress of the CPPCC. If the People's Political Consultative Conference develops in the right direction, it must unswervingly adhere to the leadership of the Communist Party of China.
(Speech on September 21, 2014 at the conference celebrating the 65th anniversary of the founding of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference)
2019年1月21日，省部级主要领导干部坚持底线思维着力防范化解重大风险专题研讨班在中央党校开班。中共中央总书记、国家主席、中央军委主席习近平在开班式上发表重要讲话。 新华社记者 李学仁/摄 [On January 21, 2019, the provincial and ministerial leading cadres adhered to the bottom line thinking and focused on preventing and mitigating major risks. The seminar was held in the Central Party School. Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the CPC Central Committee, State President, and Chairman of the Central Military Commission, delivered an important speech at the opening ceremony. Xinhua News Agency reporter Li Xueren / photo]
The Communist Party of China is the leading core of the cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics, and is in a position of overall control and coordination of all parties. In today's China, there is no greater political power or other power than the Chinese Communist Party. Party, government, military, civil and academic; the East, West, South, North, and Central; the party is leading everything, is the highest political leadership. The Communist Party of China is the ruling party. The leadership of the party is the fundamental guarantee for doing a good job in the party and the country. It is the fundamental point of my country's political stability, economic development, national unity, and social stability. It must not be shaken in the slightest.
A prominent feature of the superiority of my country’s socialist political system is the party’s overall leadership and coordination of the core leadership role of all parties. The image is “all stars holding the moon”, and this “month” is the Communist Party of China. In the big game of the national governance system, the Party Central Committee is the "commander" who sits in the military account of the army. If there is a situation of fragmentation and fragmentation in China, not only will the goals we have determined not be achieved, but they will also have disastrous consequences. The more than 100 years of history after the modern China and before the founding of New China have fully proved this point.
(On February 2, 2015, the key leading cadres at the provincial and ministerial levels learned and implemented the spirit of the Fourth Plenary Session of the Eighteenth Central Committee of the Party to promote the rule of law in a comprehensive seminar speech
China has the Communist Party of China in power, which is a great blessing for China, the Chinese people, and the Chinese nation. As long as we have a deep understanding of modern Chinese history, modern Chinese history, and Chinese revolutionary history, it is not difficult to find that without the leadership of the Communist Party of China, our country and our nation cannot achieve today’s achievements, nor can we have such an international today. status. On upholding the important principle of party leadership, our minds must be particularly sober, our eyes should be particularly bright, and our positions must be particularly firm. There must be no ambiguity and vacillation.
(Speech at the National Party School Work Conference on December 11, 2015)
It's up to the communist party to do thing well in China. The most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China, and the greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. Upholding and improving the party's leadership is the fundamental and lifeline of the party and the country, as well as the interests and happiness of the people of all ethnic groups throughout the country.
(Speech at the conference celebrating the 95th anniversary of the founding of the Communist Party of China on July 1, 2016)
The new era of socialism with Chinese characteristics, clearly adhere to and develop socialism with Chinese characteristics, the overall task is to achieve socialist modernization and the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation, on the basis of building a well-off society in an all-round way, in two steps to build a prosperous and strong democracy in the middle of this century Civilized, harmonious and beautiful socialist modern power; it is clear that the main contradiction of our society in the new era is the contradiction between the people’s increasing needs for a better life and unbalanced and inadequate development. We must adhere to the people-centered development concept and continuously promote human All-round development and common prosperity for all people; clarify that the overall layout of the cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics is "five in one" and the strategic layout is "four comprehensive", emphasizing firm road self-confidence, theoretical self-confidence, institutional self-confidence, and cultural self-confidence; The overall goal is to improve and develop the socialist system with Chinese characteristics, to promote the modernization of the national governance system and governance capabilities; to clarify the overall goal of advancing the rule of law according to law is to build a socialist legal system with Chinese characteristics and a socialist country under the rule of law; to clarify the party’s strength in the new era The goal of the military is to build a people's army that listens to the party's command, can win the battle, and has a good style of work, and build the people's army into a world-class army; clarify that the diplomacy of major powers with Chinese characteristics should promote the establishment of a new type of international relations and a community of human destiny; The most essential feature of socialism is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. The greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. The party is the highest political leadership. It puts forward the general requirements for party building in the new era and highlights the importance of political construction in party building. status.
The socialist ideology with Chinese characteristics in the new era is the inheritance and development of Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory, the important thinking of the "Three Represents", and the scientific development concept. It is the latest achievement of Marxism in China and the practical experience of the party and the people. The crystallization of collective wisdom is an important part of the theoretical system of socialism with Chinese characteristics and a guide to the struggle of the entire party and the people to achieve the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. It must be maintained and developed for a long time.
The whole party must deeply understand the spiritual essence and rich connotation of the socialist ideology with Chinese characteristics in the new era, and comprehensively and accurately implement it in all work.
(1) Adhere to the party's leadership over all work. Party, government, military, civil, and academic; the East, West, North, South, and Middle, the Party is leading everything. Must increase political awareness, Overall awareness, Core consciousness, Align with consciousness, Consciously safeguard the authority of the Party Central Committee and centralize unified leadership, consciously maintain a high degree of ideological and political action with the Party Central Committee, improve the system and mechanism of upholding the party’s leadership, and maintain stability The overall tone of China's work for progress, coordinate and promote the overall layout of the "five in one", coordinate the promotion of the "four comprehensive" strategic layout, improve the party's ability and strength to guide the direction, seek the overall situation, set policies, and promote reforms to ensure that the party always takes overall control Overall, coordinate all parties.
(2) Adhere to the people as the center. The people are the creators of history and the fundamental force that determines the future and destiny of the party and the country. We must uphold the status of the people as the main body, adhere to the principle of establishing the party for the public and governing for the people, practice the fundamental purpose of serving the people wholeheartedly, implement the party's mass line in all activities of governing the country, and take the people's longing for a better life as a struggle The goal depends on the people to create a great cause of history.
(3) Insist on comprehensively deepening reform. Only socialism can save China, and only reform and opening up can develop China, develop socialism, and develop Marxism. We must uphold and improve the socialist system with Chinese characteristics, continue to advance the modernization of the national governance system and governance capabilities, resolutely eliminate all the anachronisms of ideological concepts and institutional mechanisms, break through the barriers of solidified interests, absorb the beneficial results of human civilization, build a complete system, scientific norms 1. Operate an effective system and give full play to the superiority of our socialist system.
(4) Adhere to the new development concept. Development is the foundation and key to solving all problems in our country. Development must be scientific development, and we must unswervingly implement the development concept of innovation, coordination, greenness, openness and sharing. We must uphold and improve China's socialist basic economic system and distribution system, unwaveringly consolidate and develop the public economy, encourage, support, and guide the development of the non-public economy, so that the market plays a decisive role in the allocation of resources and better play the government Role, promote the simultaneous development of new-type of industrialization, informatics, urbanization, and agricultural modernization, actively participate in and promote the process of economic globalization, develop a higher level of open economy, and continuously strengthen China's economic strength and overall national strength.
2019年7月15日至16日，中共中央总书记、国家主席、中央军委主席习近平在内蒙古考察并指导开展“不忘初心、牢记使命”主题教育。这是15日下午，习近平在赤峰市喀喇沁旗河南街道马鞍山村村民张国利家，同基层干部群众代表座谈交流。 新华社记者 谢环驰/摄 [From July 15th to 16th, 2019, Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the CPC Central Committee, State President, and Chairman of the Central Military Commission, inspected and guided education in Inner Mongolia on the theme of "not forgetting the original intention and remembering the mission". This is the afternoon of the 15th. Xi Jinping held a discussion with representatives of grassroots cadres and the masses at the village of Zhang Guoli, a villager in Maanshan Village, Henan Street, Karaqin Banner, Chifeng City. Xinhua News Agency reporter Xie Huanchi / photo]
(5) Adhere to the principle of the people being the masters. Upholding the party's leadership, the people being the masters of the country, and the organic unification of governing the country according to law are inevitable requirements for socialist political development. We must adhere to the path of political development of socialism with Chinese characteristics, uphold and improve the system of people’s congresses, the system of multiparty cooperation and political consultation under the leadership of the Communist Party of China, the system of regional ethnic autonomy, and the system of grassroots self-government, and consolidate and develop the broadest patriotic united front, Develop socialist consultative democracy, improve the democratic system, enrich democratic forms, broaden democratic channels, and ensure that the people are the masters of the country's political and social life.
(6) Adhere to comprehensively govern the country according to law. Governing the country in full accordance with law is the essential requirement and important guarantee of socialism with Chinese characteristics. The party’s leadership must be implemented in the entire process and in all aspects of governing the country according to law, firmly stick to the road of socialist rule of law with Chinese characteristics, improve the socialist legal system with Chinese characteristics centered on the Constitution, build a socialist legal system with Chinese characteristics, and build a society Rule by law, develop the theory of socialist rule of law with Chinese characteristics, adhere to the rule of law, rule by law, and promote administration according to law, adhere to the integration of rule of law, rule of law, and society of rule of law, insist on the combination of rule of law and rule of virtue, Regulate the party's organic unity, deepen the reform of the judicial system, and improve the nation's legal literacy and moral quality.
中国共产党第十九届中央委员会第四次全体会议，于2019年10月28日至31日在北京举行。这是习近平、李克强、栗战书、汪洋、王沪宁、赵乐际、韩正等在主席台上。 新华社记者 张领/摄 [The fourth plenary meeting of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China was held in Beijing from October 28 to 31, 2019. This is Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang, Li Zhanshu, Wang Yang, Wang Huning, Zhao Leji, Han Zheng, etc. on the rostrum. Xinhua News Agency reporter Zhang Ling/photo]
十一(7) Adhere to the socialist core value system. Cultural self-confidence is a more basic, deeper and more lasting force in the development of a country or a nation. We must uphold Marxism, firmly establish the great ideal of communism and the common ideal of socialism with Chinese characteristics, nurture and practice the core values of socialism, continuously strengthen the dominance and voice in the ideological field, and promote the creative transformation and innovative development of China’s excellent traditional culture Inheriting revolutionary culture, developing advanced socialist culture, not forgetting the origin, absorbing foreign people, and facing the future, better building the Chinese spirit, Chinese value, and Chinese strength, and providing spiritual guidance to the people.
(8) Adhere to guarantee and improve people's livelihood during development. Improving people's well-being is the fundamental goal of development. We must make more for the people's livelihood and solve the people's livelihood, make up for the shortcomings of people's livelihood in the development, promote social fairness and justice, raise children in childhood, learn and teach, get income from labor, get medical treatment from illness, old age New progress has been made in raising, housing, living and supporting the weak, and deepening poverty alleviation efforts to ensure that all people have a greater sense of gain in the joint construction and shared development, and continue to promote the overall development of people and the common prosperity of all people. To build a safe China, strengthen and innovate social governance, maintain social harmony and stability, and ensure the country’s long-term stability and the people’s well-being.
(9) Persist in the harmonious coexistence of man and nature. Building an ecological civilization is a millennium plan for the sustainable development of the Chinese nation. We must establish and practice the concept that green water and green mountains are Jinshan Yinshan, adhere to the basic national policy of saving resources and protecting the environment, treat the ecological environment like life, and coordinate the management of landscapes, forests, lakes and grass systems, and implement the most stringent ecological environmental protection system. Form a green development mode and way of life, firmly take the road of civilized development of production development, affluent life, and good ecology, build a beautiful China, create a good production and living environment for the people, and contribute to global ecological security.
(10) Adhere to the overall national security concept. It is an important principle of our party's governance to govern the country by coordinating development and security, enhancing awareness of dangers, and achieving peace and preparedness. We must adhere to the supremacy of national interests, take people’s security as the purpose, and political security as the fundamental, coordinate external and internal security, homeland security and national security, traditional and non-traditional security, self-security and common security, and improve the national security system. Strengthen national security capacity building, and resolutely safeguard national sovereignty, security, and development interests.
(11) Uphold the party's absolute leadership over the people's army. Building a people's army that listens to the party's command, can win battles, and has a good working style is the strategic support for achieving the goal of "two hundred years" and the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. It is necessary to fully implement a series of fundamental principles and systems for the Party to lead the People's Army, establish the guiding position of the Party's strong army thinking in national defense and army building in the new era, and adhere to the political construction of the army, the reform of the powerful army, the rejuvenation of the army by science and technology, and the administration of the army by law, Pay more attention to focusing on actual combat, pay more attention to innovation-driven, pay more attention to system building, pay more attention to intensive and efficient, pay more attention to military-civilian integration, and achieve the party's goal of strengthening the army in the new era.
(12) Adhere to "one country, two systems" and promote the reunification of the motherland. Maintaining the long-term prosperity and stability of Hong Kong and Macao and achieving the complete reunification of the motherland are inevitable requirements for the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. It is necessary to organically combine the maintenance of the central government's comprehensive governance of Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions and the protection of the high degree of autonomy of the Special Administrative Regions to ensure that the principle of "one country, two systems" will not change and be unshakable, and that the practice of "one country, two systems" will not be deformed or distorted. We must adhere to the one-China principle, adhere to the "92 Consensus", promote the peaceful development of cross-strait relations, deepen cross-strait economic cooperation and cultural exchanges, promote compatriots on both sides of the strait to oppose all activities that split the country, and work together to achieve the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.
(XIII) Insist on promoting the construction of a community of shared future for mankind. The dreams of the Chinese people are closely linked to the dreams of peoples of other countries, and the realization of the Chinese dream is inseparable from a peaceful international environment and a stable international order. It is necessary to coordinate the overall situation of the country and the world, unswervingly follow the path of peaceful development, pursue an open strategy of mutual benefit and win-win, adhere to the correct concept of justice and benefit, establish a new security concept of common, comprehensive, cooperative and sustainable, seek open innovation, tolerance and mutual benefit Development prospects, promote peaceful and diverse, eclectic civilization exchanges, build an ecosystem that respects nature and green development, and always be a builder of world peace, a contributor to global development, and a maintainer of the international order.
(14) Adhere to comprehensive and strict governance of the party. The courage to self-revolution and the strict administration of the party to govern the party are the most distinctive characters of our party. We must follow the party constitution as the fundamental principle, put the party's political construction in the first place, ideologically build the party and the system to govern the party, and work together to promote the party's various constructions, seize the "key minority", and adhere to the "three stricts and three realities". Adhere to democratic centralism, tighten political life within the party, tighten party discipline, strengthen intra-party supervision, develop a positive and healthy intra-party political culture, fully purify the political ecology within the party, resolutely correct all kinds of unhealthy practices, and punish with zero tolerance Corruption, and constantly enhance the party’s ability to purify, improve, renovate, and improve itself, and always maintain a flesh-and-blood relationship between the party and the people.
The above fourteen items constitute the basic strategy for upholding and developing socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era. All party comrades must fully implement the party's basic theories, basic lines, and basic strategies, and better guide the development of the party and the people.
(October 18, 2017, "Decision to build a well-off society in an all-round way, and to win the great victory of socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era-Report at the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China")
The Constitution is the fundamental legal basis for our party's long-term governance. The Constitution of our country confirms the ruling position of the Communist Party of China and the core position of the party in the overall structure of state power and coordination of all parties. This is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics and the greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics. The most fundamental guarantee of the socialist rule of law. Practice has shown that party leadership, the people being the masters of the country, and ruling the country by law can be organically unified. We have always emphasized that the party leads the people to formulate constitutional laws and leads the people to implement constitutional laws, and the party itself must act within the scope of the constitutional laws. This is an important conclusion drawn by our party after profoundly summing up the historical experience of the two sides since the founding of New China, especially the painful lessons of the "Cultural Revolution". It is an important principle that our party must follow in governing the country.
(Speech at the Second Plenary Session of the Second Plenary Session of the 19th CPC Central Committee on January 19, 2018)
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics. This constitutional amendment proposes to explicitly include this content in the general constitution. Adherence to the party's leadership is the fundamental requirement of the socialist rule of law, and is the proper meaning of the comprehensive rule of law. We are the Communist Party of China and we have been in power for a long time. Adhering to governing the country and governing by the constitution includes first and foremost the adherence to the constitutional determination of the leadership position of the Communist Party of China. Anyone who denies the leadership of the Communist Party of China and our socialist system under any pretext is wrong. Both harmful and harmful are absolutely unacceptable and fundamentally violate the Constitution.
(Speech at the Second Plenary Session of the Second Plenary Session of the 19th CPC Central Committee on January 19, 2018)
Party, government, military, civil, and academic; the East, West, North, South, Middle, and the Party are in charge of everything. The party is the highest political leadership, and the party's leadership is our greatest institutional advantage. Strengthening the party's leadership over all work is not an empty and abstract requirement. It must be implemented and reflected in all aspects and links. Through deepening the reform of the party and the state, efforts should be made to solve the system and mechanism of the party’s leadership in all aspects of the function of the organization, and to solve the problem of the institutional function of the party and government army group in our country’s national governance system under the party’s long-term ruling conditions. The greatest institutional advantage of the leadership of the Communist Party provides a sound and powerful system and mechanism guarantee, a solid organizational foundation and an effective working system to ensure that the party’s leadership system for the country and society is strengthened and perfected to better bear the great struggle and build greatness. A major responsibility for engineering, advancing great causes, and realizing great dreams.
(Speech at the Second Plenary Session of the Third Plenary Session of the Nineteenth Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party on February 28, 2018)
The leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics. The Communist Party of China is the country’s highest political leadership and the fundamental guarantee for the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. In the east, west, south, north, and middle, the party, government, military, civil and academic, the party is the leader of everything. People from all parties, groups, nationalities, strata, and all walks of life in the country should be closely united around the party central committee, strengthen the "four consciousnesses", strengthen the "four self-confidences", and move forward with one heart.
(Speech at a meeting of the 13th National People's Congress on March 20, 2018)
The most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. The greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China and the party is the highest political leadership. Without party leadership, national rejuvenation is bound to be fantasy. History and the people have pushed our party to such a position, and we must assume the political responsibility that we should bear with strong and strong political leadership.
(Speech at the sixth collective study of the 19th Central Political Bureau on June 29, 2018)
2020年4月20日至23日，中共中央总书记、国家主席、中央军委主席习近平在陕西考察。这是4月22日，习近平在陕西汽车控股集团有限公司总装车间察看生产线，了解产品研发、生产、销售和复工复产情况。 新华社记者 谢环驰/摄 [From April 20 to 23, 2020, Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the CPC Central Committee, State President, and Chairman of the Central Military Commission, inspected Shaanxi. This is April 22, Xi Jinping inspected the production line in the assembly shop of Shaanxi Automobile Holding Group Co., Ltd. to understand the product development, production, sales and resumption of production. Xinhua News Agency reporter Xie Huanchi / photo]
Party, government, military, civil, and academic; the East, West, North, South, Middle, and the Party is in charge of everything. To uphold the party's leadership, first of all, to uphold the party's central authority and centralized and unified leadership, this is the supreme principle of the party's leadership, and it must not be vague and unshakable at any time and under any circumstances. We demand that the whole party respect the party constitution, enhance political awareness, overall situation awareness, core awareness, and consciousness, improve the system and mechanism of adhering to the party’s leadership, improve the party’s ability and determination to take the direction, seek the overall situation, set policies, and promote reform, and resolutely reverse The weakening of party leadership and the lack of party building in some localities and departments ensure that the whole party maintains a high degree of ideological and political action in line with the Party Central Committee.
(Speech at the National Organization Work Conference on July 3, 2018)
The practice of 40 years of reform and opening up enlightens us: the leadership of the Communist Party of China is the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics and the greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics. Party, government, military, civil, and academic; the East, West, North, South, and Middle, the Party is leading everything. It is precisely because we always adhere to the party’s centralized and unified leadership that we can achieve a great historical turning point, open a new era of reform and opening up, and a new journey for the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. In order to calm the storms, fight the floods, prevent SARS, resist earthquakes, and transform crises, we can not only take the old road of closure and rigidity or the evil road of changing flags, but firmly take the road of socialism with Chinese characteristics. Upholding the party's leadership must constantly improve the party's leadership and make the party's leadership more adaptable to the requirements of practice, the times, and the people. On upholding the party’s leadership, which is a major principle that determines the future and destiny of the party and the country, the entire party and the whole country must maintain a high degree of ideological consciousness, political consciousness, and action consciousness, and they must not be shaken at all.
(Speech on December 18, 2018 at the conference celebrating the 40th anniversary of reform and opening up)
The socialist system with Chinese characteristics is a rigorous and complete scientific system. The fundamental system, basic system, and important system play the role of four pillars and eight pillars. Among them, the leading system is the party's leadership system. The party's leadership system is my country's fundamental leadership system. Since the 18th National Congress of the Party, we have clearly stated that "the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China. The greatest advantage of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics is the leadership of the Communist Party of China and the Party is the highest political leadership." The plenary session emphasized, "We must adhere to the party; government, military, civil, and academic; east, west, south, north, and center. The party is the leader of all parties, resolutely safeguards the party's central authority, improves the overall party leadership system, and coordinates the party's leadership system to implement the party's leadership to the country. Governance in all fields and aspects." This is the most precious experience that the party has led the people in revolution, construction, and reform. When we promote system construction in all aspects, promote the development of various undertakings, and strengthen and improve all aspects of work, we must adhere to the party's leadership and consciously implement the party's fundamental requirements of taking over the overall situation and coordinating all parties.
(Speech at the Second Plenary Session of the Fourth Plenary Session of the 19th CPC Central Committee on October 31, 2019)※这是习近平总书记2013年12月至2019年10月期间讲话中有关中国共产党领导是中国特色社会主义最本质特征内容的节录。 [ ※This is an excerpt from General Secretary Xi Jinping's speech from December 2013 to October 2019, regarding the leadership of the Communist Party of China as the most essential feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics.]